One day the air changes – something shifts and you can feel it. Autumn is arriving. The gorgeous colors and spicy aromas of fall mean this is a time full of opportunities for making family memories.
10 Fun Fall Activities for Your Family
I am a Playful Learning and an Amazon affiliate, these links are noted. At no extra cost to you, you can support this site when you make a purchase through my links.
1. Jar Pets - Study nature from your backyard up close. My kids enjoy making drawings of the bugs we keep temporarily.
2. Leaf Rainbow - Enjoy the colors of fall while you search for color.
3. Backyard Science (Playful Learning) - This Playful Learning activity pack is full of family play ideas like making a “sound map” in your back yard, and includes printables and short online videos to explain each activity to the kids.
4. Applesauce and the 5 Senses - Simple and satisfying. My kids especially love using a hand crank apple peeler and of course, eating the treat they’ve prepared.
5. Fairy Houses (Amazon, book) – My kids love the Fairy Houses book I’ve linked to here. It tells a story about a child visiting a beautiful forest and making a fairy house. It gives ideas for making one each season. Fallen leaves and seeds are perfect for backyard fairy house building!
6. Leaf Labyrinth - A labyrinth has one path to follow. Your fallen leaves offer the perfect easy to use medium for making your own yard labyrinth to walk with the kids.
7. Birdseed Cookies - Make these simple birdseed cookies and feed your feathered friends!
8. Nature Display (Playful Learning) - Go on a walk or backyard explore, and then show off the beautiful fall nature items you’ve found. I like the suggestions to use various containers for display and take a photo of items you need to leave in nature.
9. Great Backyard Bird Count – Birdwatching is an activity the whole family can enjoy. We grab our notebooks and colored pencils to try and draw the birds we see. A regional bird identification book will help you identify the birds in your yard.
What are you looking forward to doing with your family this fall?