Originally posted Jan 28, 2010. The bean box continues to be a hit. Sometimes when my four year old is really out of sorts I get it down and just start playing in it myself so that he’ll join me and be able to calm down.
With so much indoor time lately we need some good winter activities. The bean box has provided much entertainment. This Rubbermaid container holds about two inches deep worth of Pinto beans (maybe 8 pounds?) I also store a few scoopers and little toys in the beans.
Fun with beans:
- Well, as you can see from the picture, sometimes the kids climb into the box.
- Hide toys in the beans for the kids to find. Have the kids hide toys.
- Bury hands or feet in the beans.
- Use cups and spoons to scoop, stir and pour.
- Put a big blanket underneath (to catch stray beans) and have the kids scoop all the beans out of the big container into various smaller containers (or toy dump trucks and such.)
- Pour the beans out on a blanket and make roads through them or just push them around.