Before Azalea was born I asked James to draw a picture of him, his brother and the new baby together. I had in mind to make shirts for each of the kids. (These are the shirts I mentioned in my post about big brother activity bags.) Here’s the original art he drew:
From there I made a couple copies of it- one that I shrunk to transfer onto a piece of smaller fabric for the baby and one that I used to transfer the design for the boys. I just made a copy because I wanted to keep the original and didn’t want to accidentally draw on it or something. I transfered them by the low-tech method of holding the light colored fabric over the drawing on a window and tracing with a pencil.
I love the happy faces on the kids and the hearts James drew and it was really fun to see them come together in embroidery. After I made each of the pieces I sewed them onto another piece of fabric to make a sort of large applique piece (using the method for easy applique I outlined in this tutorial) and then I machine sewed them onto shirts. I figure that later we can take the art off of outgrown shirts and put it onto a pillow or in a frame or scrap book for each kid. For now the kids are happy to wear art that James drew.